I found this recipe in the October 2010 Family Circle and it is by far the best I have tried. It is so good I refuse to list the nutritional information. I will be making it with gluten free noodles this time around, but I don’t think that will change it one bit!
1 lb cavatappi pasta (Life is short. Use fun noodles)
6 slices bacon, diced
1 tbsp unsalted butter
3 tbsp flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp onion flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 lb shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup shredded colby jack
1 cup shredded mozzarella
8 slices Kraft Deli Deluxe American Cheese
1. Heat oven to 350. Coat a 3 qt broiler safe baking dish (mine was just glass, not broiler safe) with nonstick cooking spray. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boiling.
2. Cook pasta 8 minutes in boiling water, then drain. It will be slightly al dente. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to paper towels. Carefully pour off drippings, returning 2 tablespoons to pan. Add butter.
3. Whisk in flour until smooth. IN a thin stream, whisk in milk. Stir in onion flakes, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. In large bowl, toss together cheddar, colby Jack and mozzarella.
4. Remove milk mixture from heat; whisk in American cheese and 1 1/4 cups of the cheddar mixture. Toss bacon pieces with remaining shredded cheese.
5. In pasta pot, combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce. Pour half into prepared dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 the bacon/cheese mixture. Repeat.
6. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Increase oven temp to broil and broil for 3 minutes, until top is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.